MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team
Draft Meeting Agenda: October 30, 2009
(revised October 20, 2009)
Friday, October 30, 2009
Red Lion Hotel Eureka*
1929 Fourth Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Click Here to Start
* This facility is accessible to persons with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodations for a disability, please contact California Relay Service (at least two days prior to the meeting) at 800.735.2929 (TT) or 800.735.2922 (voice) or contact the California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative at 916.653.5656.
Public Participation: Members of the public are invited to attend the meeting in person or may view and listen to the meeting via simultaneous webcasting on the Internet. Video and audio archives of the meeting may be accessed via the Internet approximately two days after the meeting. Please visit the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) website at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_sc.asp for more information.
Public comment: The public will be invited to provide general comment on subjects related to the work of the MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team (SAT) at approximately 12:35 p.m. Speaker cards are requested and may be found at the entrance to the room. Time allotted for public comment is determined by the chairt; submitting written comments that can be easily summarized in one to two minutes is encouraged. Note that the public comment period is for comments specific to the SAT; comments related to the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force, or other MLPA Initiative activities should be directed to the task force or MLPA staff.
Meeting materials will not be provided at the meeting but will be posted to this page as soon as they are available.
Red links indicate pages that require Adobe Reader.
- Welcome SAT members for the MLPA North Coast Study Region
- Receive an introduction to the MLPA and the MLPA Initiative
- Review SAT charter and operating guidelines
- Receive an introduction to open meeting requirements
- Receive briefing on the science guidance in the California Marine Life Protection Act Master Plan for Marine Protected Areas
- Discuss bioregions for the MLPA North Coast Study Region
- Review levels of protection developed for the MLPA North Central Coast Study Region
- Form SAT work groups
- Select SAT chairs
Meeting Agenda – October 30, 2009
Note: The SAT will break for lunch at approximately 11:50 a.m. and public comment will be taken immediately after at approximately 12:35 p.m.
Welcome, Introductions and Review of Agenda
I. Introduction to the MLPA and MLPA Initiative
- Marine Life Protection Act Initiative Process and Participants
- Charter of the MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team for the North Coast
- Operating Principles for the MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team
- Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act
- Science Guidance in the California Marine Life Protection Act Master Plan for Marine Protected Areas
II. Marine Protected Area Science Guidelines and Evaluation Criteria
- Review of SAT MPA Evaluation Methods Used in the South Coast Study Region
Potential Action: Approve the methods used to evaluate MPA proposals in the south coast study region.
- Historical Record of the SAT Process in the South Coast
Potential Action: Approve the document describing historical record of the Marine Life Protection Act Master Plan Science Advisory Team for the South Coast Study Region
- Discussion of Bioregions for the North Coast
- Discussion on Connectivity
- Levels of Protection Used in the MLPA North Central Coast Study Region
III. SAT Operations
- Form SAT Work Groups
- Select SAT Chairs Motion and Vote