Streaming Video Home Page
Click Here to Start
Agenda for OPC Meeting and Subsequent Workshop on Marine Debris
Friday, June 28, 2013
10:00 am to 12:00 pm OPC Meeting
12:30pm to 2:30 pm Workshop on Marine Debris
Coastal Hearing Room
1001 I Street
John Laird, Secretary for Natural Resources, Council Chair
Matt Rodriquez, Secretary for Environmental Protection
Gavin Newsom, Lieutenant Governor, Chair of the State Lands Commission
Fran Pavley, State Senator
Toni Atkins, State Assemblymember
Geraldine Knatz, Public Member
Michael Brown, Public Member
- Welcome and Council Member Announcements
Secretary Laird, Council Chair
- Report from the Executive Director
Cat Kuhlman, Executive Director, OPC
- Report from the Science Advisor
Skyli McAfee, Executive Director, California Ocean Science Trust
Exhibit 1: California Ocean Science Trust : Progress Report, October 2009 through September 2012
Exhibit 2: Ocean Protection Council Staff Recommendation: “California Ocean Science Trust: Building Scientific Capacity”
Exhibit 3: Ocean Protection Council Staff Recommendation: “Statewide Marine Protected Area Monitoring Program”
Exhibit 4: Ocean Protection Council Staff Recommendation: “Future Marine Protected Area Baseline Data Collection: Ensuring Data Collection for All Regions”
Exhibit 5: Ocean Protection Council Staff Recommendation: “Statewide Science Integration and Marine Protected Area Monitoring Programs”
Exhibit 6: Letters of Support
Exhibit 1: State of Washington Blue Ribbon Panel Report
Exhibit 2: Letters of Support
Exhibit 1: Ocean Protection Council Delegations to its Executive Director
8. Introduction to the California Shellfish Initiative: Overview of California shellfish aquaculture and discussion of the next steps for formulating the California Shellfish Initiative.
OPC staff and Randy Lovell, State Aquaculture Coordinator California Department of Fish and Wildlife
9. Sea-Level Rise Outreach Strategy: Presentation of an outreach strategy for the updated Sea-Level Rise Guidance Document.
Abe Doherty, Project Specialist, OPC
Exhibit 1 State of California Sea-level Rise Guidance Document (March 2013)
Exhibit 2 Outreach Strategy for State of California Updated Sea-level Rise Guidance Document
10. Update on the California Coastal Geoportal: Presentation on progress for development of a dedicated website for California’s marine and coastal datasets.
Laura Engeman, OPC Project Manager and Clare O’Reilly, OPC Project Manager
11. Public Comment on non-agenda items
12. Arrangements for Next Meeting and Adjournment
Next Meeting will be August 29, 2013
WORKSHOP ON MARINE DEBRIS
12:30pm – 2:30pm
This informational workshop provides an opportunity for key actors working on the issue of marine debris to share their work, identify gaps and provide recommendations on what the state as well as the Ocean Protection Council can do to increase collaboration and address these needs.
California State Agencies
1. Summary of “Marine Debris: A Snapshot of Work in California”.
Amanda Sackett, CA Sea Grant State Fellow, Ocean Protection Council
Miho Umezawa, Project Manager, Ocean Protection Council
2. Shannon Waters, Volunteer Programs Coordinator – Public Education
Program, California Coastal Commission
3. Johanna Weston, Environmental Scientist – Ocean Standards Unit,
State Water Resources Control Board
1. Leslie Tamminen, Facilitator, Clean Seas Coalition
2. George Leonard, Director of Strategic Initiatives, Ocean Conservancy
Nicholas Mallos, Conservation Biologist, Marine Debris Specialist, Ocean
1. Rachel Oster, Director of External Affairs, Recology
II. Public Comment
III. Summation and Next Steps
Cat Kuhlman, Executive Director, Ocean Protection Council
Agenda items may be re-ordered at the discretion of the council chair.
Please fill out a Request to Speak card to provide public comment on non-agenda items or on a specific agenda item. Comment on agenda items will be taken following each item.
Questions about the meeting or agenda can be directed Joanna Stone (916) 653-9710 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Written public comment must be received before 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 26 to be included in the materials provided to the council prior to the meeting. Comments may be sent by email to: email@example.com
Any person who has a disability and requires accommodation to participate in this council meeting should contact Ms. Stone no later than five days prior to meeting.